Information We Collect About Visitors to Our Site
We and our website provider, Automattic, collect information about visitors to our site in a few different ways – we collect certain information that the visitors provide to the Site, and we collect some information automatically.
Information a Visitor Provides to a Site
We collect information that a visitor enters on the Site – such as a contact form submission, a search query.
Information We Automatically Collect from the Site
Automattic also automatically collect some information about visitors to the Site. The information automatically collected depends on which of the services the Site uses. We’ve listed examples below:
- Technical Data from a Visitor’s Computer and Etcetera: Automattic collect the information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available about visitors to a Site, such as the IP address, browser type, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information.
- Visitor Interactions: Automattic collect information about a visitor’s interactions with a Site, including the “likes” and “ratings” left by visitors to a Site using WordPress.com or Jetpack.
- Location Information: Automattic may determine the approximate location of a visitor’s device from the IP address, and collect and use this information to, for example, tally how many people visit our Site from certain geographic regions.
How We Use Visitor Information
Our employees also use information provided to our site by Visitors, in order to answer queries generated by those Visitors.
We also use information about Site visitors in order for Automattic to provide their Services to the Site. For example, to create and manage the Site, sell products and services on the Site.
Automattic may also use and share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify any individual. For instance, they may publish aggregate statistics about the use of their services.
How We Share Visitor Information
We and Automattic may share information collected about Site visitors in the limited circumstances spelled out below:
- Subsidiaries, Employees, and Independent Contractors: We may disclose Site visitor information to our subsidiaries, our employees, and individuals who are our independent contractors that need to know the information in order to help us provide our services to the Site, or to process the information on our behalf. We require our subsidiaries, employees, and independent contractors to follow this Privacy Notice for information about visitors that we share with them.
- Third Party Vendors: We may share Site visitor information with third party vendors who need to know this information in order to provide their services to us. We require vendors to agree to privacy commitments in order to share information with them.
- Legal Requests: We may disclose Site visitor information in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose Site visitor information when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Abacus Money Management Ltd, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- Business Transfers: In connection with any merger, sale of company assets, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company, or in the unlikely event that the company goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, Site visitor information would likely be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. If any of these events were to happen, this Privacy Notice would continue to apply to Site visitor information and the party receiving this information may continue to use this information, but only consistent with this Privacy Notice.
How Long We Keep Visitor Information
If we are not legally required to keep it, we generally discard information about Site visitors when no longer needed for the purposes for which we collect and use it on behalf of our users — those purposes which are described in the “How We Use Visitor Information” section above.
Automattic keep the web server logs that record information about a visitor to our Site — such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, and operating system — for approximately 30 days. They retain the logs for this period of time in order to, among other things, investigate issues if something goes wrong on a user’s Site.
As another example, when a Site visitor views the Site Automattic use their IP address in order to update our Site Stats with information about your visit, like what country you are in. Automattic keep that IP address for approximately 30 days to give them time to calculate our monthly Site Stats and address any issues with those counts.